Russian athlete, Maria Sharapova, formerly marked the world’s number 1 professional tennis player and still remains one of the world’s most popular athletes. Having played tennis from a young age, she became a professional at the age of 14. She achieved success in 2004, when she won the Wimbledon Championship against Serena Williams. Carrying out the trend, she won two more Grand Slam Singles, including the 2006 US Open and 2008 Australia Open. Throughout the years, numerous titles have been awarded to her, such as the WTA Most improved player of the year in 2004, the ESPY Best Female Tennis Player from 2005-2008, the country’s best female player for the year by Russian Tennis Federation in 2006, and the January 2008’s female athlete of the month by United States Academy. She has yet to stop; recently, in June, 2014 she won her second French Open. With this reign of great success, we gathered some tips that Maria has generously provided her fans with, so that you could start on your own path to athletic victory!
1) Positivity: In an interview reported by Ann Liguori, Maria stresses the importance of positivity, as she quotes “You have to remain optimistic and extremely positive.” It also helps to have a role model, or other positive influences that you can look up to. Maria explains that hopes she can be that role model to others. If you ask us, she’s doing a great job so far!
So what should you do? Maintain a positive mindset and search for an encouraging fitness role model (or a few!).
2) Action: Besides being positive, you have to have the drive to take action, and stay consistent. Maria does this by practicing 6 days every week. According to Editor Cathy Gehr, Maria reported that she doesn’t always feel like practicing, but she knows that preparation is the key to her athletic success as she explains that it’s “one of the most important things to getting where I want to be.”
So what should you do? You can start by heading to the gym, or participating in a sport of interest 4-5 times a week. If you want to get more competitive, follow Maria’s schedule of 6 times a week. Stick with it, even on days you “aren’t in the mood”!
3) Mixing it up: Maria partakes in multiple areas of physical activity to keep herself in top-notch shape. Ranging from pilates and yoga, to biking, running, and dancing, Maria has tried it all, and encourages you to find different ways that you enjoy to get in shape.
So what should you do? Explore your options. Take various fitness classes around your area, or participate in different sports clubs or teams. Experiment by taking your bike out for a ride and change it up once in a while by going for a jog.
4) Relaxation: With Maria’s rigorous training schedule, it is essential to her wellbeing that she makes time to relax. Maria enjoys taking time off once in a while to spend with her friends, at the spa, or just relaxing at home.
So what should you do? While working hard is necessary to achieve your fitness goals, make sure you allow at least one day a week to take off from the gym and simply “do you.”
5) Diet: Maria eats 3 meals a day which include carbohydrates, protein, fruits and vegetables. Landing on the cover of Sports Illustrated, it would be hard to argue that this isn’t a complimenting way to eat when working on your fitness goals.
So what should you do? Eat a balanced diet which includes whole foods that have minimal ingredients and contain high amounts of natural carbohydrates and proteins. Don’t forget to drink a lot of water! Most importantly, don’t give up. Clearly Maria never did, and look at how far she got!
If you follow these tips, you’ll be on your way to getting in top-notch shape and conquering your fitness goals.